View of the Great Smoky Mountains from Max Patch

Saturday, October 16, 2010

LINVILLE FALLS (Blue Ridge Parkway)

The Linville Falls are located at mile 316 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  It was a beautiful drive up the Parkway to get to the falls.  At this elevation, the colors are at their peak.
(Click on photos to enlarge.)
The Blue Ridge Parkway on the way up to Linville Falls.

 Two sweet horses.






This is the view right near the Visitor Center.


 The trail to view the falls from above is very, very long!
 But, the views of the pretty colors made it worth the trek (almost!)
 The trail continued on FOREVER


 It said the trail was only .3 miles - but it
was more like 3.0 miles!
 And, it was very rugged and UPHILL!  Whine, whine.








 FINALLY - I reached the top.  Spectacular view.


 The falls are waaaaay down there!




After seeing the upper falls, I trekked down to see the lower ones.







 Another trail - with never ending stairs to climb!

 Seriously, how am I supposed to fit through there?

 The trail back doesn't end either!
 And, this little guy greeted me in the restroom when
I was done with my hundred-mile hike up to the falls!