View of the Great Smoky Mountains from Max Patch

Saturday, October 30, 2010

LOOKING GLASS ROCK (Pisgah National Forest)

As I stated in yesterday's entry, Looking Glass Rock gets its name because when water flows over the cliffs, it creates a mirror-like effect when illuminated by the sun.  It gives viewers the impression that the cliffs are a looking glass.  To tell the truth, I really didn't see it; I just saw a big, plain rock!  I went back today - at a different time.  It's all about the sun.  The rock does illuminate and gives the appearance of being a looking glass when you see it at the right time of day.

(Click on photos to enlarge.)
Here's the big rock (notice the Moon in the photo)!
These photos are taken from the Pisgah National Forest.

 See how shiny the water is when the sun hits it?


 It was really very pretty!
 I left the Pisgah Forest, and went up to the Blue Ridge
Parkway to see it from there (that's not me on the bike).

 You get an entirely different look from the Parkway.
 See how it looks like a looking glass?
(Okay, maybe I am just imagining that!)
 So, now I'm a believer that it does, in fact, look like a looking glass.